The goal of the project is to increase chemistry students' knowledge of mathematics and its role in chemistry. In particular, we want to enable the students to use the tools and language of mathematics to solve scientific problems.
The project has the following specific components:
- We developed a new placement exam to identify students who cannot solve multi-step non-algorithmic word problems at the precalculus level.
- We developed a math course which teaches problem solving in the sciences.
- We developed lab materials for Organic Chemistry which reinforce mathematical skills and skills they have learned in General Chemistry.
- We developed modules on Linear Algebra and Differential Equations in Physical Chemistry
- We developed an interdisciplinary course on Chirality for mathematics and chemistry students.